A tragic shooting near the Islamic Center of San Diego on May 18, 2026, left the community shaken after multiple people were killed and two teenage suspects were later found dead inside a vehicle near the mosque. Authorities identified the suspects as 17-year-old Cain Clark and 18-year-old Caleb Velasquez. Police believe the pair died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds after carrying out attacks across several blocks surrounding the mosque. Investigators said the violence appeared to involve multiple crime scenes, including shots fired at a nearby landscaper who survived unharmed. Witnesses described a massive emergency response as families evacuated the area while officers secured the neighborhood. San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl confirmed there was no exchange of gunfire with officers and said investigators were still working to notify victims’ families while gathering evidence tied to the case. The shooting has since raised growing fears about safety around religious institutions and concerns over whether warning signs were missed before the violence erupted.
Investigators later uncovered disturbing details suggesting the attack may have been motivated by hate. Police said one suspect had been reported missing earlier that day by his mother, who warned authorities her son was suicidal and that firearms and her vehicle were missing from the home. Officers also discovered a reported suicide note containing racial pride rhetoric, while alleged hate speech was found written on one of the weapons recovered after the shooting. Authorities believe the suspects wore camouflage clothing and may have planned the attack in advance. Officials are now investigating the case as a possible hate crime, although police said there had been no direct threat made specifically against the mosque beforehand. As the investigation continues, the tragedy has left San Diego residents searching for answers about how such violence could unfold so suddenly and whether intervention could have prevented it.